Saturday, May 3, 2008

South Pacific (1958 Movie OST) [Cassette Rip]



320 KBPS MP3, cassette rip, change .abc to .zip
DOWNLOAD! (95 MB)

[Tracklisting]
1. South Pacific Overture
2. Dites-Moi
3. Cock-Eyed Optimist
4. My Girl Back Home
5. Bali Ha'i
6. Twin Soliloquies/Some Enchanted Evening
7. Bloody Mary
8. There Is Nothin' Like A Dame
9. I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair
10. Younger Than Springtime
11. Happy Talk
12. I'm In Love With A Wonderful Guy
13. Honey Bun
14. Carefully Taught
15. This Nearly Was Mine
16. Finale

This download is ripped from a cassette tape I bought at Goodwill one day. (Yes, I said Goodwill. WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME? :P) The tape was in excellent condition as it had never even been opened. This particular cassette came with certain copies of the 1994 VHS reissue. In 1994, Fox Video released the Rodgers and Hammerstein Golden Anniversary line, which included new VHS releases of Oklahoma!, Carousel, The King And I, South Pacific, and The Sound Of Music. Some copies of these tapes came with a soundtrack cassette tape. In the case of The Sound Of Music, the cassette contained previously unreleased film versions of songs, songs previously not included on the soundtrack, and tracks with music not heard in the film. The South Pacific cassette tape merely replicated the original soundtrack album releases, albeit with a slightly different track order.

The sound quality of this download is very good. There's a little tape noise as I chose not to sacrifice audio quality in order to remove it. There's occasional tape anomalies too, such as a slight warping at the end of track 6. Despite the few issues, I think this cassette rip sounds almost as good as the CD release. And I kinda like the bit of tape noise and the fact that it still sounds like a cassette, albeit a really good one. I love a clean remastered CD as much as anyone, but hearing some tape noise and a few anomalies kinda gives it a nostalgic feel. I'm pretty sure most of you still remember listening to cassette tapes, and since I didn't own a CD player until I was 16, I'm still used to them. :P

Since I hadn't done this by the time I zipped the MP3s up and uploaded them, here's an HQ scan of the cassette insert. Click for a larger view.

1 comment:

zarajp said...

wow i'm dying to get my hands on this. could you repost a link or email it to me? i would really appreciate it. zarajp@gmail.com