Monday, November 26, 2007

Peter Pan (1960 NBC Telecast Starring Mary Martin) On YouTube!

In 1955, NBC broadcast the Broadway musical adaptation of Peter Pan. The telecast featured the original Broadway cast, which included Mary Martin as Peter and Cyril Ritchard as Mr. Darling and Captain Hook. The live broadcast was a massive hit for NBC, and another live performance would be done a year later. Once again in 1960, NBC broadcast the final live performance of Peter Pan. This time, the performance was preserved on color videotape for posterity. As opposed to rebroadcasting it annually, NBC only rebroadcast it three more times - in 1963, 1966, and 1973. After the 1973 broadcast, NBC was unable to locate the videotape and the production was presumed lost until it was discovered in 1988. In 1989, NBC rebroadcast the special for the first time in sixteen years. Shortly afterwards, NBC and GoodTimes Home Video released the special onto home video, where it remained in print for many years. A DVD release in 1999 was quickly put out of print and now goes for $250+ on sites like Amazon.

In 1990, I recieved two videos for my birthday. The Little Mermaid and Peter Pan. And I watched both of them obsessively, absolutely loving both of them. Years later, I somehow lost my tape, but managed to tape a Disney Channel broadcast in the mid 90's, albeit the signal was nasty, so it wasn't amazing quality. Fast forward to around 2002 - I check out the video from the library and make a copy. Fast forward another couple of years - someone on LiveJournal sends me a DVD-R taken from their VHS copy. Not only that, but I now also own a good quality legitimate VHS copy.

I've always loved this adaptation of Peter Pan far more than any other - even Disney's, and I'm a major Disney fan. But I didn't grow up watching Disney's over and over again. In fact, I didn't even own Disney's version in any format until the 2002 DVD re-release. Never got to tape a TV broadcast or anything. But I absolutely loved the music from this version, plus I think the cheap sets and special effects give it a charming feel. After all, it IS nothing more than a play on tape.

Posted below are a few musical numbers from the 1960 NBC telecast.







More clips, as well as the entire telecast, split into 15 videos, can be found here.

3 comments:

Hjalmar Poelzig said...

This has always been my favorite version also (never cared for the Disney adaption)...you also gotta love Cyril Ritchard as Mr. Darling/Captain Hook (a brilliant performance). When I was little, our family always looked forward to the annual broadcast of this (along with the Rodgers & Hammerstein adaption of CINDERELLA with Lesley Ann Warren....another one I prefer over Disney's version).

Joey said...

Love that version of Cinderella too. And I happen to prefer all three R&H productions over Disney's as well, although I do enjoy the Disney versions of Peter Pan and Cinderella as well.

Have you seen the original 1957 version of R&H's Cinderella with Julie Andrews? It's available on DVD and I believe it airs on PBS every December since 2004. Definitely worth a look.

wbhist said...

I have to presume that, like the prior 1950's "spectacular" productions, this 1960 version of "Peter Pan" was taped at NBC's Brooklyn studios?